Monday, June 15, 2009

Wood Duck

We have lived in Winsted since 2000. It has been a dream to attract birds other than barn swallows. It would be totally cool if we find an owl that established on our property! The end of May, Chris
mentioned that we have a Wood Duck nesting under our Colorado Spruce. Unbelievable! She was laying with her eggs. I understand why the female tend to be not as colorful as the male, but this would explain why. She blends in so much in the grass and the needles from the pine tree.


I returned to visit her and perhaps try to capture her in a different light, she was gone! I found the eggs she left behind..
Oh, the horror I felt.. What happened? Did she do this because of me? Or, was it because of the raccoons (or the like) in the area? I sure hopes she returns..

No comments:

Post a Comment