Saturday, March 14, 2009

Competition

We had our first digital photo competition at HTC. While it was interesting to hear what the judges had to say as to how it could be made better, but sometimes it is frustrating when you love the picture that you submitted to find it just made "acceptance". How does one get past that feeling? The results are very different between an image for competition and an image for the client or personal use. I know that I still have things to learn, but it is frustrating when you are proud of your image to have it ripped apart....

1 comment:

  1. Even though I am not a "student" in class, I think this will always be a frustration for photographers. I strive to take photos that I like, not necessarily that others might. I tend to put one's on my blog that I think others may enjoy. My wife doesn't always like what I shoot, and that's ok with me. At least I know that when she does enjoy a particular photo..then I know I "nailed it"!
    What does it take to make a great photograph vs a picture? Depends on who you ask. As I have matured in my photography over the years I am tending to crop very tight, and keep my photos with very simple elements I hate manipulation other than a little sharpening and/or saturation. I am a big bw fan. My mantra is if color contributes to a photo great, it it does not, then it goes BW. I am sure you know all about the mechanics of taking pictures, now it is about making your own style. Look over your photo's, figure out what common themes you have going, figure out what you are REALLY good at, discard the rest. MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN!

    ReplyDelete